Resources For Development, Sample Making, Manufacturing, Pattern-Making, Sourcing, & Production:
- www.makersrow.com: This new site is the one stop shop for those who want to break into the design world but have no idea where to start. Makers Row not only gives you guidance, it also lists profiles of most of the major cmt sewing contractors in America.
- www.thomasnet.com: Find sewing contractors, source hardware manufacturers and anything else you can think of.
- www.apparelsearch.com: This site has everything you can think of; from fashion blogs to profiles of fashion schools, trends and lists of contractors categorized by competencies.
- www.fashioncenter.com: This is a directory for all things fashion in New York’s garment district. Find a jobber, sample maker, pattern maker, or sewing contractor in New York City. There is also a downloadable sewing resource guide!
- www.patterngradingmarkingnyc.com: Top Notch Pattern Service NYC is fast, accurate and reliable with AccuMark patterns.
- www.jjpatternnyc.com: JJ Pattern Marking and grading, muslin and fit/pattern corrections and sample development all in one place. Current clients include Thakoon, Tse, Helmut Lang, and Diane Von Furstenburg.
- www.fashiondex.com: Great resource for finding what you need. Resource books and subscriptions are also available.
Resources for Business Development:
- www.liveplan.com: Write a viable business plan in as little as 30 days. The site is the most painless way to write up a business plan with a full set of financials. Plus, the first 30 days are free.
- www.businessoffashion.com: is a London based fashion news site that covers global trends, analysis, shows and has educational components for those interested in working in the business.
- www.wwd.com: Women’s Wear Daily is a journal that is over 100 years old and covers domestic and international markets, trade shows and news of the fashion business.
Trends and Design Inspiration:
- www.lookbook.nu: Great website for sartorial inspiration. Real people that are really stylish. get inspired.
- www.thesartorialist.com: The sartorialist Scott Shuman shares photographs he takes of fashion in the context of real life.
- www.pantone.com: The best place for color inspiration. Don’t forget to check out their seasonal fashion trend report featuring prominent designers in the industry!
Resources For Pattern-Making, Sewing & Notions Supplies:
- www.steinlaufandstoller.com: Great for pattern making and sewing supplies. Also my first stop for swim and lingerie trims and notions.
- www.atlaslevy.com: Best prices for pattern making and sewing supplies.
- www.southstarsupply.com: This site is great for sewing, cutting and pattern making supplies.
- www.wawak.com: Go to Wawak for all of your sewing supplies. They also have a best price guarantee.
- www.sewtrue.com: Shop here for sewing, pattern-making and cutting supplies.
- www.amefird.com: The go-to source for all your thread needs. American and Efird also have thread guide pdfs for your reference. Here is one on threads for sewing with knits: Click here.
Home and Industrial Sewing Machines:
- www.baltimoresewing.com: I’ve purchased three industrial machines from Stadham Corp. They also repair machines so if you are in the Pennsylvania and DMV area contact them for help with your machine. They also sell sewing supplies and notions!
- www.atlaslevy.com: These guys have a ridiculously large selection of home and especially industrial machinery. It’s crazy. They even make attachments.
- www.allbrands.com: Good source for home and industrial machinery.
- www.brother-usa.com: For home and industrial sewing machines. Also good for office supplies such as fax machines, scanners and printers. Who knew?
- www.singerco.com: For home and industrial sewing machinery.
- www.jukihome.com: This site is for home sewing.
- www.juki.com: This site is for Industrial machinery and they will guide you to a dealer near you.
- www.merrow.com: American made industrial sewing machines specializing in edgings such as the purl stitch and various overlock stitches for cut and sew knits.
Stitch and Seam Guides (the first place to look for the stitch & finish you want in a garment but don’t know what it is):
- Stitch Terminology PDF
- Seams Index PDF
- Stitch Per Inch Guide PDF
- Seam Engineering PDF
- Sewing Stretch Knit Fabrics PDF
Tooling and Attachments for Machines:
- www.tennattachment.com: Tennessee Attachment produce post factory attachments for industrial machines. Send them a sample of the finish you want or tell them your idea and they can make it. They also make replacement parts for older machines that are no longer on the market such as Union Specials.
Knit Fabric Suppliers:
- www.afabricplace.com: This site offers a beautiful assortment of closeout woven and fabulous knits from all of the great designers and fabric mills. Michael will also work with you to source the fabric that you need.
- www.spandexwarehouse.com: This warehouse has it all when it comes to anything with stretch! Retail and wholesale prices are reasonable and they are open to negotiating and locking in prices when ordering over 1000 yards. Also, a great source for modal.
- www.spandexhouse.com: For New Yorkers, this location is the place for cut and sew knits. This place is great for sourcing active sports wear knits or performance wear.
- www.spandexworld.com: Spandex world is another good site for high-performance knits.
- www.myfabricplanet.com: Has $1 and $2 a yard fabrics at retail locations. A Good source for knits when shopping at retail locations. They will also source what you need at wholesale prices.
- www.fashiondistrict.org: Website about the Los Angeles fashion district including a list of all textile and notions suppliers. Many of these suppliers have online stores.